Library TV

Exploring video as a training and promotional tool for libraries, on the web and in television.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

New Season

I actually finished the first episode of Library Lowdown 2 weeks ago but I just finished getting it completely up on the web this week. Here's why:

1. If there are major problems in filming its either sound or lighting. This time it was sound, only I didn't know it until after the fact. We record to DVHS tapes but have recently started using a Firestore digital recorder which lets you create digital files you can simply drag and drop onto a computer. The sound was okay on the DVHS but not okay on the Firestor, no idea why but will have to watch for it next time. (The one disadvantage of too much equipment, too many things can go wrong.) This led to longer editing because instead of just drag and drop I had to import the video in real time. It also means the sound quality for the online video isn't the best.

2. Out of practise. Your never going to be able to work fulltime with video (you'll probably never want to either) so there's always going to be some re-learning. I made a silly mistake when I broke up the whole show into segments and it cost me an hour or so which translated into having to come back a couple days later.
The silly mistake? Editing video is working with layers:

graphics*****************
video~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sound1###################
sound2$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

In chopping the video up into shorter segments I left a bit of sound down the pike:

graphics****************
video~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sound1##################
sound2$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..........................$$

It made the clip 3 times as long as it was supposed to be which made converting it to MP4s that much longer (a slow process already).

3. One good thing was that I posted the News & Events on YouTube so that I could then insert directly into our webpages (not an option with Archive.net). I may try creating shorter clips in the future or I may need to learn more about formats in general because I've seen clips on YT that are just as long but load faster and easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home